Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 8
Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 8 (also called the Liberty National Parking Deck or Midtown Parking Deck) is a 1,114-space 10-story parking deck owned by the City of Birmingham and operated by the Birmingham Parking Authority. It was constructed in 1991 and occupies about a third of Block 147, including the entire west side of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South between 3rd and 4th Avenue South. Its entrance is at 2021 3rd Avenue South.
The building, designed by Giattina Fisher Aycock, is architecturally distinctive, clad in gray precast concrete panels divided by tall vertical openings screened with black mesh. The roofline is expressed with a deep angled cornice and the ground floor "plinth" is set off by a projecting water table with angled openings below.
The northeast corner of the building's ground floor was occupied by a Midtown Food Court, developed in 1993 to designs by David and Rogers Architects. An enclosed corridor from the food court connects to the lobby of the vacant Liberty National Building.
- Joy Young (Henry Joe 1993–)
- River Market and Deli (1993–)
- Scott's Koneys (Scott Green September 2008–June 2023)
- Morris, Philip (October 1975) "Here's Looking at YOU, Birmingham: Commentaries on Design and Land Use." Birmingham magazine. Vol. 15, No. 10, pp. 17-22
- BPA Deck 8 at bhamparking.com