Canaan Missionary Baptist Church
- This article is about the church organized in Bessemer in 1865. For the earlier church in Jonesboro, see Canaan Baptist Church.
The church constructed a new building in 1889 , which was expanded in 1908 and clad in brick veneer in 1940. The City of Bessemer condemned the structure in 1960, and it was demolished a new, contemporary style one-story church was constructed on the same site in 1961. George Wilson of Selma was the contractor.
Under J. H. Browder's leadership, the church actively supported efforts to establish equal rights for African Americans in the 1950s and 60s. After it was rebuilt, the church sanctuary served as an organizing and rallying point for the Alabama Christian Movement for Human Rights during the Birmingham Campaign. After passage of the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964, Canaan Baptist was one of the first churches to establish a Community Development Credit Union.
- W. M. Grimes, 1865-
- E. L. Plant, -1948
- J. H. Browder, 1948-64
- A. L. Bratcher, 1964-69
- Horace Turner, December 1969-
- Douglas Caddel, current
- Van West, Carroll (March 24, 2004) National Register of Historic Places nomination form