Comer Elementary School

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the Birmingham City Schools elementary school opened in 1961. For similarly named schools, see Comer School.
Comer Elementary School
BCS small logo.png Birmingham City Schools
Years 19611990
Location 1220 50th Street South, (map)
Crestwood South
Grades K-5
Principal Bill Marsh
Enrollment ? (?)
Colors red & white
Mascot cougars
Website Facebook.com

Donald Comer Elementary School was a Birmingham City Schools elementary school for grades 1-8 located at 1220 50th Street South in Crestwood South. It was named for Donald Comer, an Avondale Mills executive who served on the Birmingham Board of Education.

The 12-classroom building was constructed in 1961 to relieve overcrowding at the nearby Minnie Holman School. The decision to name the school for Comer threatened to complicate the use of state funds, which in some cases restricted the naming of buildings for living persons.

The new school was designed by Pembleton & Mims. The $250,000 construction contract was awarded to the Robins Engineering Co. Parents donated funds to plant the schoolyard with grass and to pave the driveway.

A major addition to the school, designed by Mims & Gaunt, successors to the original architects, was completed in 1966. The new buildings housed science, art and music rooms, as well as a library, auditorium and gymnasium. The complex of one-story flat-roof brick buildings was connected with paved covered walkways.

After the school closed in 1990, the building was used by Meals on Wheels, Community Education South, and the Redmont School, and by the Alabama Waldorf School from 1999 to 2016. It was later the home of the Renaissance Academy.

Comer Elementary was demolished in 2021. The Altamont School uses the athletic fields adjoining the former school.

Principals

References

External links