Dunbar Hotel

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Dunbar Hotel was a full-service hotel open to African Americans in the 1920s and 1930s. It was located on the upper floor of the 2-story brick building on the southeast corner of 17th Street North and 4th Avenue North in the 4th Avenue Business District, and entered at 323 17th Street.

The business closed during the Great Depression. It reopened in 1935 as the New Dunbar Hotel, managed by James Barnes. From 1937 to 1939 Notable B. Smith was manager.

References

  • Polk's Birmingham (Jefferson County, Ala.) City Directory (1935) Richmond, Virginia: R. L. Polk & Co.
  • Polk's Birmingham (Jefferson County, Ala.) City Directory (1937) Richmond, Virginia: R. L. Polk & Co.