The Fieldstown community in Gardendale was founded in 1878 by William Alfred and Louisa T. Fields. Fields was enlisted to fight in the Civil War in 1862 and purchased 160 acres of land in the Fieldstown commmunity shortly after his discharge from the war. Some of his descendants continue to live in the area.
In October of 2010, Fieldstown was declared a Historic Community by the City of Gardendale and a marker was placed at the site. Most of what was once Fieldstown is now a part of the City of Gardendale, although some of the property may still remain in unincorporated Jefferson County.
Fieldstown Road was named for the community and connects it with the main business district in Gardendale.