City of Ensley
The City of Ensley was incorporated in 1899 to govern local matters in Ensley. It served for just over a decade until it was annexed into Birmingham under the Greater Birmingham legislation, effective January 1, 1910.
In addition to the executive and legislative offices, Ensley employed a city clerk. An elected chief headed the Ensley Police Department. The Ensley Police Court employed a judge and clerk as well. The Ensley Board of Education oversaw the Bush School, Moore School, and a Ensley Colored School, as well as a kindergarten taught by Nellie Few above a bakery on 19th Street.
The Mayor of Ensley was the elected head of the city government.
List of Mayors
Board of Aldermen
The Ensley Board of Aldermen consisted of two representatives from each voting ward of the city. In 1903 those wards were described as follows:
Between 16th Street and the northeastern city limit.
Between 23rd Street and the southwestern city limit.
The Fifth Ward was added between 1903 and the 1906 Ensley municipal election.
- Ensley City Directory (1903) Birmingham: Ensley Directory Company/Roberts & Son, Printers
- Citizens League of Ensley, Ala (1906) "The Ensley Campaign Book"
- "Alderman for Fifth Ward" (June 11, 1906) The Birmingham News
- Prince, A. G. (1982) Landmarks of Ensley: Past and Present. revised edition. Ensley: Best Printing Service