Hickman-Yarbrough House

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Hickman-Yarbrough House is located at 801 North Chalkville Road in Trussville. Built in 1850, it is the oldest residence standing in the city. During the Civil War, it was used as a field hospital during Wilson's Raid for Union troops. It was spared from destruction because the owner was a Mason.

The home was purchased in October 1998 by Dave Parrish, who has been restoring the house. Only eight of the original oversized windows remain in the home, and the only original light fixture is in the dining room. Several outbuildings, including the original springhouse, have also been updated in recent years. The house retains the original fireplace shields over its 10 hearths, as well as the original glass in the front door.

In 2011, the home was one of four featured in the Trussville Historical Society's Historical Home Tour.

References

  • Thornton, William (March 23, 2011) "Historic homes tour opens its doors April 3." Birmingham News
  • Hoffman, Bill (March 23, 2011) "Historic home tour slated for April 3." Trussville Tribune
  • Thornton, William (April 4, 2011) "Warm weather, historic homes draw curious to Trussville tour." Birmingham News