Homewood Fire and Rescue Service

From Bhamwiki
(Redirected from Homewood Fire Department)
Jump to: navigation, search
Homewood Fire and Rescue logo.png

The Homewood Fire and Rescue Service is responsible to responding to fires and other emergencies in Homewood. As of 2008, the department consisted of 65 personnel working from four stations. The fire chief is John Bresnan.

History

Homewood's fire department began in 1926 with Chief E. H. Knox, two firemen, and an engine borrowed from the Birmingham Fire Department. The Great Depression began just a few years after the city's founding. Tight funds kept the department limited to Chief Knox and three firemen during those years. By 1959, however, the department had expanded to 20 firemen, four engines, and two stations.

Stations

Homewood Fire Station No. 1

The current Fire Station No. 1 in early 2011
The original Fire Station No. 1 (with additions) in early 2007

Homewood's original fire station had operated out of space in Homewood City Hall since the building opened. In later years, an addition was made to give the station more space and accommodate larger trucks. After the building was sold by the city in 2007, firefighters were forced to move to a temporary quarters in a double-wide trailer at 1624 29th Court South off Central Avenue. Construction of a permanent replacement station was completed in October 2010. The new building is at 1652 28th Court South, near the intersection with Central Avenue.

Fire Station No. 2

Homewood Fire Station No. 2

Station 2 opened in 1959 and is located at 430 Carr Avenue off Green Springs Highway.

Fire Station No. 3

Homewood Fire Station No. 3

Station 3 is located at 250 Snow Drive off West Oxmoor Road.

Homewood Fire Station No. 4

Station 4 is located at 800 University Park off Lakeshore Drive.

Chiefs

References

  • Summe, Sheryl Spradling. (2001). Homewood: The Life of a City. Homewood, AL: Friends of the Homewood Public Library.

External links