Homewood Suites Five Points South
The project was first announced in August 2011 by developer Rakesh Patel of AUM Enterprises in Pelham. Construction was initially expected to begin in March 2014. The nearby Five Points South YMCA was demolished for parking.
The design by Atlanta, Georgia-based Richard Rauh & Associates, a firm with extensive experience with Hilton hotels, includes a reconstructed version of the existing building's limestone Art Deco facade as a screen in front of the entrance drive. The hotel includes an indoor pool and fitness center. Each of the hotel's 105 guest rooms includes a full kitchenette.
- Diel, Stan (August 11, 2011) "Hotel to be built at site of Five Points Music Hall." The Birmingham News
- Diel, Stan (November 28, 2012) "Plans for Homewood Suites hotel in Five Points South proceed." The Birmingham News
- Tomberlin, Michael (January 8, 2014) "Design approved for new $15 million Five Points South hotel." The Birmingham News
- Davis, Bryan (April 2, 2015) "Work begins on $23M Five Points South hotel project." Birmingham Business Journal
- Riley, Cindy (July 19, 2016) "Popular Five Points South District to See $23M Hotel" ConstructionEquipmentGuide.com
- Journey, Rick (February 28, 2017) "Birmingham's Five Points South welcomes a new hotel, big plans" WBRC 6