List of Birmingham homicides in 1993
This is a List of Birmingham homicides in 1993. It includes homicide cases occuring within the city limits during the calendar year. Note that not all homicides are ultimately ruled to be murder in courts of law.
Birmingham had over 130 homicides in 1993.
- February 16: Kevin D. Thomas, 24, was shot and killed outside the Jaguar Club at 1500 2nd Avenue North after a standoff with security guards. Robert Moore was charged with murder and acquitted in 1996.
- October 15: Willi Joe Reevers was found wounded by gunshot in a car parked at 707 New Hill Avenue in East Brownsville. Cynthia Moneyham, who was also in the car, told police that her son, Dewayne Powell, had come into the house and shot him. Powell, an 8th grade dropout, claimed self defense because, saying Reevers was a hit man and that he had held a gun on him. Powell was convicted of Reever's murder in 1996 and was paroled after serving 18 years of a 21-year prison sentence. He was released in April 2014 and returned to the house on New Hill Avenue. He was found shot to death and burned in a fire at that house in February 2016. (report)
- November 23: Blaine Corvin, 30, was shot during a robbery at Southeastern Meats at 8401 1st Avenue North, where he was an employee.
- November 25: Peggy Chappell, 6, was abducted. Her nude body, beaten with her throat slashed and skull crushed, was found the next day in a garbage bag on a trash heap by a 12-year-old boy. Her mother, Katie Chappell, served 6 years for hindering prosecution. Investigators believe she knows who took her daughter, but would not tell them. The case remains unsolved.
- December 26: Norman Coffill, Jr, 41, was shot in the head on the 900 block of 23rd Street South at Southtown Court.
- Robinson, Carol (February 10, 2008) "Jefferson County Deputy Chief Coroner Jay Glass prepares to leave the job after three decades." Birmingham News