Mayor of Fairfield
The Mayor of Fairfield is the elected executive for the city of Fairfield.
The powers of mayor were extended by legislative action during the administration of Larry Langford. In February 2018 the Fairfield City Council created a new position of City Manager by ordinance and appointed Mary Roberson to the position. Mayor Ed May II vetoed the ordinance and won a judgment from Jefferson County Circuit Court Judge Pat Ballard in September saying that the vote was improper. The council took a second vote and approved the position again over May's objections.
May was removed from office by the City Council in February 2019, citing his nonattendance at Council meetings as cause. Council president Eddie Penny was sworn in as mayor during a special called meeting. That action was challenged in court. Judge Eugene Verin ruled on April 12 that Penny's appointment was legal.
List of mayors
- A. Clinton Decker, 1919–
- Claude Gilley, 1940s
- J. T. McLaughlin, 1952–1954
- Claude Smithson, 1959–1961
- Lawrence Sides, 1970
- Larry Langford, 1988–2002
- Charles Willis, 2002–2004
- Michael Johnson, 2004–2008
- Kenneth Coachman, 2008–2016
- Ed May II, 2016-February 2019
- Eddie Penny, February 2019-
- Koplowitz, Howard (September 24, 2018) "Judge rules Fairfield city manager position void." The Birmingham News
- Robinson, Carol (February 13, 2019) "Fairfield mayor ousted from office, city council president sworn in as mayor." The Birmingham News
- Crenshawl, Solomon Jr (April 16, 2019) "Judge Rules Penny Is Mayor of Fairfield, but the Fight Is Not Over Yet." BirminghamWatch