New Williams was a women's clothier founded in 1918 by Joe Goldstein at 1911 3rd Avenue North. The shop expanded several times and grew into a small family-owned chain with locations at the Five Points West Shopping City and the Roebuck Shopping Center.
The Five Points West location, managed by Joe's nephew, Mervyn Goldstein, opened on February 5, 1959 and was expanded to double its size to 20,000 square feet in late 1963. Henry Sprott Long designed the modern-styled addition, which was constructed by Brice Building Company for $150,000. The Roebuck store opened in 1961.
Joe's brother Malvin and other nephew, Herman were also officers in the company, which celebrated its 50th birthday in 1968.
The downtown store closed in 1983. Its 5-story building was planned to be converted into a 16-unit New Williams Lofts, but the project stalled during the Great Recession.
- "Five Points West Shopping Center is truly a 'city within a city'" (January 28, 1959) The Birmingham News - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections
- "Expansion starts at New Williams" (October 1963) The Birmingham News - via Birmingham Rewound
- "New Williams marks 50th" (October 16, 1968) The Birmingham News - via Birmingham Rewound