Our Lady Queen of the Universe Catholic Church

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Our Lady Queen of the Universe Catholic Church is a Catholic parish church located at 961 Center Street, at the corner of 10th Avenue North in College Hills. Father Jose Chacko is the presiding priest.

The church was founded as part of the North Alabama Mission of the Diocese of Mobile. Archbishop Thomas Toolen purchased the lot for the future church in 1941 while Mission priest Edward Foster began efforts to establish a congregation. The small group first celebrated Mass at Davenport and Harris Funeral Home and also used the Bethlehem House at Smithfield Court Housing Project and the chapel of Poole Funeral Home.

Architect Wilmot Douglas prepared plans for a 300-seat sanctuary which was constructed in 1955 by Joseph Kurtts. The first service in the new building was held on November 6, 1955 and it was officially decorated by Archbishop Toolen on January 22, 1956. As a mission church, Our Lady Queen of the Universe often shared a priest with Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church in Collegeville.

On March 21, 1965 the church was targeted during Mass by a bomb containing 50 sticks of dynamite. The device was discovered in the church's drive way and disarmed while the priest continued the liturgy.

Our Lady Queen of the Universe became an independent parish in 1981. Father Vernon Huguly took over the pulpit in 1993.

References

External links