Peter Ingle residence
The original house was a log cabin, constructed perhaps as early as 1819 on land granted in 1821 to German immigrant Peter Ingle on Mount Pinson. Ingle moved to Winston County in 1826 and sold part of his property to Hardy Wimberly. In 1830 the property was sold to Warton Chamblee.
Investment banker and philanthropist Mervyn Sterne purchased the house in the 1950s. Over the next decades he and his wife Dorah added a master bedroom wing and a sun room and undertook several remodeling projects. After Mr Sterne died in 1973 his widow kept the house.
In 1977 the house was listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. After inheriting the property in 1994 the Sterne's grandson, bioethicist Neil Rosen, rented it out but found the aging house difficult to maintain.
In 2008 Rosen sold the property to Wedgworth Construction, which planned a 20-home community called "Viridian" on the site. Vestavia approved rezoning from agricultural to planned residential use. The house was dismantled and Wedgworth planned to re-use salvaged materials in the new homes.
- Ellaby, Liz (August 27, 2008) "Landmark Sterne house and pioneer log cabin on Tyler Road dismantled; pieces to be used in new houses on same site." Birmingham News
- Ingle, William Dee (n. d.) "Peter Ingle", Chapter 1 of Peter Ingle: 1761-1849: Pioneer of Winston County, Alabama and His Descendents by Two Wives.