McDowell has produced public art projects including large scale murals, commemorative statues and coins, as well as private collector artwork such as heirloom portraits for a wide range of clients including famous celebrities, amassing over 2,000 works. As a young artist, he attracted the attention of Motown celebrities and eventually became Michael Jackson’s art teacher, and McDowell’s sketches were featured in a songbook included inside Jackson's Thriller blockbuster album.
McDowell was inducted into the Pittsburg Entertainment and Arts Hall of Fame in 2013.
- "Eddie Kendricks memorial", (1999), sculpture Eddie Kendrick Memorial Park
- "The Foot Soldier", sculpture Kelly Ingram Park
- "To God Be the Glory", (2003). Portrait of Annetta Nunn
- "A New Day in Old Birmingham," (2003), mural in the lobby of the Birmingham Public Library
- "Alabama Music Hall of Fame", (1990)
- "Portrait of Booker T. Washington", (2004)
- "Nina Miglionico statue" (2015)
- "Justice is Blind" (2018), mural at Jefferson County Courthouse lobby
- Prieve, Judith (February 1, 2019) "Renowned artist McDowell returns home, teaching art to Pittsburg youth." East Bay Times
- Ronald McDowell website