Shades Mountain Baptist Church
- This article is about the church on Columbiana Road. For the church on Park Avenue in Bluff Park, see Shades Crest Baptist Church.
The church was founded as a children's Bible study led by William Sellers under a shade tree in 1907, soon moving into the one-room Montgomery Schoolhouse. It was organized as White's Chapel Baptist Church in 1911, and adopted its present name as it began worshiping in its own new building on Canyon Road on February 14, 1926.
The church began construction of a new, 1,500-seat sanctuary and fellowship hall on October 24, 1962. It opened in 1963. The congregation continued to grow, and a new 3,500-seat worship center was opened on April 30, 1989.
In October 2020 the members of McElwain Baptist Church in Crestline voted to re-incorporate as a satellite campus of Shades Mountain Baptist. The renamed Hope Community Church opened on November 1 of that year, with Jacob Simmons as pastor.
- William Sellers, 1907-
- J. A. Moncrief, 1915
- William Sellers, 1916-1917
- C. W. Ferguson, 1920-1922
- J. T. Screws, 1922-1926
- E. M. Johnson, 1926-1927
- W. E. Robinson, 1928-1930
- J. C. Miller, 1930-1944
- Homer Bryan, 1944-1945
- Glen Dismukes, 1945-1946
- J. C. Miller, 1946-1951
- Hugh Chambliss, 1951-1961
- Carl Giers, 1961-1971
- Charles Carter, 1971-1998
- Danny Wood, 1998-2021
- Brymer, Jack (December 8, 1982) "Times Require Creative Evangelism" Baptist Press
- Garrison, Greg (October 25, 2020) "Vestavia megachurch adopts McElwain Baptist, changes name, assigns new pastor." The Birmingham News
- Garrison, Greg (January 11, 2021) "Shades Mountain Baptist pastor plans to retire." AL.com
- Shades Mountain Baptist Church website