Shades Mountain Drive-In Theatre
The cinema opened on July 1, 1948 with a feature presentation of "Three Little Girls in Blue." The car capacity was listed at 500. Early advertisements promised "acres of entertainment under the stars, cooled by natural mountain breezes." When the drive-in opened it was operated by the Waters Theatre Company. Cobb Theatres took over management in 1967. The drive-in was heavily damaged by a tornado on May 6, 1967 and officially closed in September 1968.