Cobb Theatres

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Cobblogo.png

Cobb Theatres is a cinema chain found in 1947 by R. C. Cobb and headquartered at in the 2000-2100 SouthBridge Parkway building in Birmingham's SouthBridge office park.

Cobb's grandfather, Jefferson Richards, opened a movie house in Fayette in 1921. Richards' daughter, Lucille Cobb, bought the theater from him in 1934 and sold it and a second theater to her son, Richard, in 1947. Starting with those to locations, Cobb expanded across North Alabama, adding drive-in theaters as well as indoor movie houses. By 1965 Cobb operated 27 theaters in the Alabama and Georgia. He moved the company from Fayette to Birmingham the following year and built the nation's first four-plex in 1971. In 1978 he constructed the Cinema City 8 in Roebuck, then the largest multiplex in the nation.

In 1992 Cobb purchased Tampa, Florida's General Cinema chain, then acquired South Florida's Wometco Chain in 1994. The company was operating 643 screens when it was acquired by Regal Entertainment for $200 million in 1997.

A new Cobb Theatres III was founded by Robert Cobb in 2000, building the Dolphin 19 in Miami and expanding to 11 locations by 2006. It launched a CinéBistro concept in Miami and Tampa in 2008 and currently operates more than 253 screens at 21 locations in Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Virginia and Colorado.

Locations

Current Alabama locations

Former locations

External links