Slayden Avenue runs from North Sherman Heights in Ensley, across 20th Street Ensley and then through an isolated area of South Sherman Heights toward Wylam. The street connects with 5th Avenue Wylam at Indiana Street.
Because of its isolation, the street has been used as a dumping ground for victims of violence. During 2006 the bodies of both Terrence West and Walter Moore were found near the street. In 2007 Charles Lawrence was found dead inside his car in the woods just off Slayden Avenue. Another shooting victim was found in the same location in 2018.
- Sherman Heights
- road continues as Inland Street
- Loraine Street intersects
- 1506: former location of Gadson Grocery (1977)
- Millvale Street intersects
- Neward Street intersects
- 1710: St John CME Church
- Oakmont Street intersects
- Templeton Road intersects
- Birmingport Road (Alabama State Highway 269) intersects
- South Sherman Heights
- Wylam (road ends at 5th Avenue Wylam)
- Robinson, Carol (September 10, 2007) "Man, 21, found shot to death in his car." The Birmingham News