The Sparks Center (originally known as the Center for Developmental and Learning Disorders) is a ten story high rise research building located at 1720 7th Avenue South as part of the University of Alabama at Birmingham in the Medical District. Construction of the building commenced in 1967, and at this time the building was only proposed to be 7-stories in height, but subsequently expanded to 10-stories. Funding for the facility came from a $2.3 million grant as part of the Mental Retardation Facilities and Community Mental Health Centers Construction Act and an additional $726,831 of university funds.
The building was formally dedicated on April 21, 1969. On March 11, 1971, the facility was rededicated to former governor Chauncey Sparks as he was instrumental in the early stages of relocating the medical school from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham. Other guests who participated at the dedication included George Wallace, Joseph Volker, and Jere Beasley.
- Chamblee, Leonard (January 19, 1967) "UA Med Center plans 2 new building starts in 1967" Birmingham Post-Herald - via Newspapers.com
- Waddle, Chris (April 22, 1969) "New mental health center dedicated" Birmingham Post-Herald - via Newspapers.com
- Staff Reports (March 10, 1971) "Wallace to help dedicate center" Birmingham Post-Herald - via Newspapers.com
- Building information at Emporis.com