Jump to navigation Jump to search
March 11 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2016: The Village Creek Greenway in Ensley was dedicated.
- 2010: Glenny Brock parted ways with Birmingham Weekly.
- 2010: MountainTop Community Church founder Bill Elder, who suffered a stroke in December 2009, was released from the hospital.
- 2008: The Birmingham City Council approved the purchase of 15,000 XO laptops for use by Birmingham City Schools students.
- 2008: Superintendent Stan Mims was fired by the Birmingham Board of Education.
- 2004: Preliminary ideas for the Railroad Park were presented.
- 1971: The Center for Developmental and Learning Disorders was rededicated as the Sparks Center.
- 1970: Loveman's opened at Western Hills Mall
- 1926: Reddy Kilowatt made his print debut.
- 1981: Baseball player Adam Bonner was born in Hueytown.
- 1951: Drummond Company CEO Mike Tracy was born in Tuscaloosa.
- 1947: Band director and school spokesman Pat Morrow was born.
- 1940: Artist Catherine Cabaniss was born in Birmingham.
- 1930: Attorney Chuck Morgan was born in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 1918: Black Baron Lyman Bostock Sr was born in Birmingham.
- 2023: Real estate developer James Wilson III died in Montgomery.
- 2011: Songwriter Hugh Martin died in Encinitas, California.
- 1989: Educator and bookseller Anna Praytor died in Birmingham.
- 1941: Architect Harry Breeding was struck by a car on 20th Street South and died.