March 12 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2019: The former Hospitality Inn on 7th Avenue South was burned by arson, damaging the adjacent Yum Yai restaurant,Chai Market, and the former 22nd Street Jazz Cafe.
- 2014: Texas de Brazil opened at the Uptown entertainment district.
- 2014: 24e Fitness opened their Trussville location.
- 2005: The Steven C. Minkin Paleozoic Footprint Site was dedicated.
- 2002: Residents of Center Point voted to incorporate into a city.
- 1997: Compass Bank acquired Horizon Bancorp of Austin, Texas.
- 1993: The Blizzard of 1993 began; a fire destroyed the Comedy Club.
- 1947: Ground was broken for the Jefferson County Public Health Building.
- 1911: Artist Harry Hawkins married Julia Osborn.
- 1999: Major League Soccer player Brandon Servania was born in Birmingham.
- 1977: Musician Gary Wheat was born.
- 1963: Author Tim Hollis was born.
- 1952: Calera Fire Department chief Tommy Moon was born.
- 1944: NFL linebacker Jim Tolbert was born in Fairfield.
- 1939: Soul singer Kell Osborne was born in Birmingham.
- 1913: Singer Loulie Jean Norman was born.
- 1864: Architect W. W. Rose was born.
- 1834: Secretary of the Navy Hilary Herbert was born in Laurens, South Carolina.
- 2006: Art curator Richard N. Murray died.
- 1974: Former Birmingham-Southern College president Guy Snavely died in Birmingham.