Summit Media is a broadcast, digital and event production company with offices at 2700 Corporate Drive in the Meadow Brook Corporate Park. Carl Parmer is the chairman and CEO. John Walker is the Birmingham division president.
The company as founded by Parmer and David DuBose in 2012, with an eye toward acquiring the stable of 27 stations owned by Birmingham's Cox Media Group, where DuBose had been a vice-president. The deal, for just over $66 million, was completed in early 2013. DuBose was fired on May 13, 2014. Greg Reed was hired as vice president and general manager for the Birmingham market two days later.
In 2015 Summit hired former Mayor of Birmingham William Bell's Chief of Staff Chuck Faush to head its "Summit Media Entertainment" division. He has produced several events, including the "FUSION Awards" and the "Rick & Bubba Outdoor Expo" for the company. Shelia Smoot was hired to head the company's news department in 2016.
In 2018 Summit acquired 19 more stations from the E.W. Scripps Company for $47 million. Summit currently owns and operates 50 radio stations in Alabama, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
- WBHJ-FM (FM 95.7, 95.7 Jamz)
- WPYA-FM (FM 97.3, Play)
- WBHK-FM (FM 98.7, Kiss FM)
- WAGG-FM (FM 100.1)
- WZZK-FM (FM 104.7
- WBPT-FM (FM 106.9, The Eagle)
- WBMR-FM (FM 107.3, Birmingham Mountain Radio)
- WAGG-AM (AM 610)
- WENN-AM (AM 1320)
- West, Ty (May 16, 2014) "David DuBose out, Greg Reed in at Summit Media." Birmingham Business Journal
- Carlton, Bob (June 24, 2014) "Birmingham radio executive David DuBose back in court, suing former company Summit Media." The Birmingham News
- Van der Bijl, Hanno (August 16, 2018) "Birmingham media firm purchasing radio stations for $47M." Birmingham Business Journal
- Summit Media website