War Eagle Supper Club
The War Eagle Supper Club is a bar and music venue located at 2061 South College Street in Auburn.
The club was built in 1937 by Greek immigrant John Gazes. It served as a private supper club, which allowed for alcohol sales to diners. The Lambert family purchased the business in the 1950s and continued to operate it in the same way through the 1970s. Hank and Jeff Gilmer bought a share of the business in 1977 and began its transformation into a 21-and-up bar and music club, with patrons paying a $2 membership fee at the door. John Brandt joined the ownership group in the mid-1980s. Other partners include Mark Cadenhead and Cory Hattier.
The War Eagle Supper Club was the first restaurant in Auburn to serve pizza pie int he 1950s. It added two more pizza ovens from Auburn's former Pasquale's location after the Kopper Kettle explosion on January 15, 1978. Byron Franklin of Buffalo Connection perfected his wing recipe at the club before opening his own restaurant. An old bus, used in the mid-1980s to deliver patrons home safely after midnight, was later converted into a "Shot Bus," a secondary bar behind the club serving shots.
In later years, the bar became known mainly for its live music. Scores of rock and country performers have played there. Local favorites The Velcro Pygmies headline during big football weekends. The bar also hosts annual fund-raisers for Toys For Tots and the Macon County Humane Society.
- Lee, Justin (July 7, 2014) "War Eagle Supper Club celebrates 77th anniversary." Opelika-Auburn News
- Nelson, Carla (April 8, 2015) "War Eagle Supper Club closing its doors." The Corner News
- War Eagle Supper Club website