January 15 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2019: UAB Gardendale Clinic opened.
- 2018: Mayor Randall Woodfin delivered his first "State of the Community" address.
- 2013: Actor Jim Nabors married long-term partner Stan Cadwallader in Seattle, Washington.
- 2008: Birmingham Mayor Larry Langford delivered the 2008 State of the City address.
- 2008: The Cleveland Church of God was damaged by fire.
- 2001: Condoleezza Rice became National Security Advisor.
- 1979: Howell Heflin was sworn into his U.S. Senate seat.
- 1978: The Kopper Kettle in Auburn was destroyed by a natural gas explosion.
- 1971: Keith Blayney became the first dean of UAB's School of Community and Allied Health Resources.
- 1934: B. O. Hargrove was promoted to Chief of the Birmingham Fire Department.
- 1928: The new Hillman Hospital was dedicated.
- 1924: Pianist Sergei Rachmaninoff returned to Birmingham for a second performance.
- 1914: George Bodeker founded the Bodeker National Detective Agency in the Brown-Marx Building.
- 1909: Foundation work for the Empire Building was completed.
- 1907: E. L. Higdon succeeded Andrew Burgin as Jefferson County Sheriff.
- 1890: The William Nabors residence was purchased and later demolished to make way for the Steiner Building.
- 1885: Samuel Truss succeeded Thomas Anderson as Jefferson County Sheriff.
- 1879: The Alabama State Bar Association was founded with Governor Thomas Watts presiding.
- 1984: UAB tennis player Julia von Samson was born.
- 1961: NFL player Jeremiah Castille was born in Georgia.
- 1943: Congressman Glen Browder was born in South Carolina.
- 1919: Actor Tod Griffin was born in Birmingham.
- 1912: World War II veteran and Birmingham police officer Leon Medlock was born in Albertville.
- 1888: James Esdale, Grand Dragon of the Realm of Alabama in the Ku Klux Klan, was born.
- 2015: Sam Wehby, founder of All South Properties, died.
- 2015: Gonzo, a bald eagle at the Birmingham Zoo, died.
- 2010: Former judge Charles Crowder died.
- 2010: UAB endocrinologist Constance Shen Pittman died.
- 1965: Accountant William Christian died.
- 1901: Ironworker, saloonkeeper, jailer and Birmingham Alderman Sylvester Daly died.
- 1899: Laborer George Meadows was lynched at Pratt Mines on suspicion of the murder of Willie Kellum and the assault of his mother.