January 4 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2006: Born 2 Read opened.
- 2005: The new Homewood Middle School opened to students.
- 1875: Alderman William H. Morris took office as Mayor of Birmingham.
- 1866: Thomas Parsons married Molly Clementine Goodwin.
- 1861: Governor Andrew Moore ordered state troops to sieze and hold Forts Gaines and Morgan from United States troops in advance of secession.
- 1947: Actor and Mouseketeer Tim Rooney was born in Birmingham.
- 1904: Manufacturers' representative William Veenschoten was born in Erie, Pennsylvania.
- 1842: Hueytown namesake Jesse Huey was born in Jefferson County.
- 2018: News anchor Bill Bolen died.
- 2017: Developer and contractor James C. Lewis died.
- 2012: Former WVTM-TV reporter Ken Ward died in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- 2009: Bandleader Frank Bettencourt died.
- 2008: Singer Doc Soul Stirrer died of a heart attack at Medical West Hospital
- 2001: Sculptor John Rhoden died.