Watts Building (1888)
The first Watts Building was a richly ornamented four-story Second-Empire style commercial building on the northwest corner of 3rd Avenue North and 20th Street in downtown Birmingham. It was constructed for Thomas Watts III by Charles M. Allen and Son in 1888. The building was designed by Charles Wheelock of Wheelock & Wheelock in the Second Empire style, with a rusticated base, grouped windows with brick arches on the second and third floors, and a deep cornice with a mansard roof above.
The Watts Building was home to an unusual number of artists studios and music teachers, along with other professional offices.
- Room 1: Smith & Norton real estate (1909)
- Room 10: J. J. McDavid, real estate law (1888)
- Room 14: Laura E. Burton and Irene Bullard, physicians (1906)
- Room 15: J. B. Carr & Co. architects (1904), Breeding & Whilldin architects (1905), H. D. Breeding (1925)
- Room 24: Lucile Douglas artist (1904), D'Agostino School of Music (1925)
- Room 25: A. C. Tarrant artist (1904)
- Room 26: C. W. Morgan artist (1904), T. M. Thomason, violin teacher (1925)
- Room 28: Alice Rumph artist (1904)Pearl Stewart, violin teacher (1925)
- Room 29: E. K. Smith artist (1904)
- Room 30-31: Mrs M. E. Raulston artist (1904)
- North Alabama (Illustrated) (1888) Birmingham: Southern Commercial Publishing Co.
- "Doctor Kills Wife and Self; Dentist Shot." (April 10, 1906) "Birmingham Age-Herald", republished by A. J. Wright, Early Female Physicians of Alabama - accessed June 1, 2006
- Satterfield, Carolyn Green (1976) Historic Sites of Jefferson County, Alabama. Birmingham: Jefferson County Historical Commission/Gray Printing Company
- White, Marjorie Longenecker (1977) Downtown Birmingham: Architectural and Historical Walking Tour Guide. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society.