Wyndy LLC is the publisher of the Wyndy smartphone app, which connects college students available for babysitting jobs with parents in need of a sitter. Applicants must submit to a basic background check via Checkr, and use a .edu email address. The service handles scheduling, payments and feedback ratings.
The app was created by Ginger and Tommie Mayfield, and named for the character of Wendy Darling, from Peter Pan. It was initially tested with students from Samford University, Birmingham-Southern College and UAB and officially launched in March 2017.
Wyndy earned $80,550 in startup funding from the 2017 Alabama Launchpad competition, and has since expanded to Tuscaloosa and Mobile; Chattanooga, Memphis and Nashville, Tennessee; and Charlottesville, Virginia. In 2021 it received a $3 million investment from Benson Capital Partners of New Orleans, Louisiana. Shortly afterward Missy Polhemus was hired to succeed Tommie Mayfield as CEO.
In 2020 Wyndy partnered with Allison Springer's Dental Referral Service to launch a new product, "Alysyn". The platform connects dental practices to a pool of dentists, hygienists, assistants and front-office staff willing to work on-demand.
- Rebman, Stephanie (March 30, 2017) "Birmingham tech startup launches app aimed at transforming the babysitting booking world." Birmingham Business Journal
- Thornton, William (April 28, 2017) "3 startups take $250,000 in Alabama Launchpad final." The Birmingham News
- Edgemon, Erin (February 26, 2018) "Birmingham-based babysitter app Wyndy continues to expand, add staff." The Birmingham News
- Patchen, Tyler (April 2, 2019) "Wyndy founder on expansion, future plans and lessons from two years in business." Birmingham Business Journal
- Patchen, Tyler (July 26, 2019) "Birmingham's Wyndy secures nearly $1.8M in funding round." Birmingham Business Journal
- Thornton, William (February 28, 2020) "New Wyndy venture fills dental staffing needs." The Birmingham News
- Patchen, Tyler (August 4, 2021) "Benson Capital Partners makes another investment in Birmingham." Birmingham Business Journal
- Patchen, Tyler (August 5, 2021) "Missy Polhemus named CEO of Wyndy." Birmingham Business Journal
- Thornton, William (July 18, 2023) "Birmingham’s Wyndy introduces new nanny service." AL.com
- Wyndy website