Lakeview School: Difference between revisions

From Bhamwiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
No edit summary
No edit summary
Line 1: Line 1:
:''This article is about the former Birmingham school. For the private school, see [[Lakeview Day School]], for the Tuscaloosa County school, see [[Lake View Elementary School]].''
:''This article is about the former Birmingham school. For the private school, see [[Lakeview Day School]], for the Tuscaloosa County school, see [[Lake View Elementary School]].''
'''Lakeview School''' is a former [[Birmingham City School]] located at 2801 [[Clairmont Avenue]]. It was designed by [[Wheelock, Joy and Wheelock]] architects and opened in [[1901]] for grades 1-4, with 12 additional classrooms for grades 5-7 completed in [[1909]].
'''Lakeview School''' is a former [[Birmingham City School]] located at 2801 [[Clairmont Avenue]]. It was planned as early as [[1890]], but had to be postposed due to the economic fallout from the [[Panic of 1893]]. The original red brick building, designed by [[Wheelock, Joy and Wheelock]] architects, opened in [[1901]] for grades 1-4, with 12 additional classrooms for grades 5-7 completed in [[1909]].


Artists [[Frank Hartley Anderson|Frank]] and [[Martha Fort Anderson|Martha Anderson]] were commissioned through the Federal Art Project of the [[Works Progress Administration]] to produce a mural of scenes of discovery for the Lakeview School. [[Branko Medenica]]'s sculpture, "Resurgence" was installed at the school in [[1976]].  
A playground, later named [[Underwood Park]] for [[Oscar Underwood]], was constructed across [[28th Street South|28th Street]]. The park was later moved to allow for expansion of [[St Vincent's Hospital]].
 
Artists [[Frank Hartley Anderson|Frank]] and [[Martha Fort Anderson|Martha Anderson]] were commissioned through the Federal Art Project of the [[Works Progress Administration]] to produce a mural of scenes of discovery for the Lakeview School. [[Branko Medenica]]'s sculpture, "Resurgence" was installed at the school in [[1976]]. Around that time the school was revitalized as an alternative school offering an "Arts-in-Education" curriculum.


The school building was added to the [[National Register of Historic Places in Birmingham|National Register of Historic Places]] on [[December 17]], [[1977]].
The school building was added to the [[National Register of Historic Places in Birmingham|National Register of Historic Places]] on [[December 17]], [[1977]].

Revision as of 19:04, 30 December 2013

This article is about the former Birmingham school. For the private school, see Lakeview Day School, for the Tuscaloosa County school, see Lake View Elementary School.

Lakeview School is a former Birmingham City School located at 2801 Clairmont Avenue. It was planned as early as 1890, but had to be postposed due to the economic fallout from the Panic of 1893. The original red brick building, designed by Wheelock, Joy and Wheelock architects, opened in 1901 for grades 1-4, with 12 additional classrooms for grades 5-7 completed in 1909.

A playground, later named Underwood Park for Oscar Underwood, was constructed across 28th Street. The park was later moved to allow for expansion of St Vincent's Hospital.

Artists Frank and Martha Anderson were commissioned through the Federal Art Project of the Works Progress Administration to produce a mural of scenes of discovery for the Lakeview School. Branko Medenica's sculpture, "Resurgence" was installed at the school in 1976. Around that time the school was revitalized as an alternative school offering an "Arts-in-Education" curriculum.

The school building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 17, 1977.

The building currently houses offices for Leo Ticheli Productions, Boyd Fernambucq & Vincent and others.

Principals

References

  • "Lakeview School" typescript history (c. 1958) Birmingham Board of Education, Research Department, microfilm at Birmingham Public Library Archives, AR454
  • Satterfield, Carolyn Green (1976) Historic Sites of Jefferson County, Alabama. Birmingham: Jefferson County Historical Commission/Gray Printing Company