15th Street School

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
15th Street School
Active 18831888
School type Public
District Birmingham City Schools
Grades
Colors
Mascot
Location 601 15th Street North, (map)
Birmingham

15th Street School was a Birmingham public school for African-American students located on the corner of 3rd Avenue North and 15th Street. It opened in 1883 and relocated to the newly-built Slater School in 1888.

In 1887 principal B. W. Arnett led a faculty with three other teachers: B. H. Hudson, Viola Benford and Lucy Smith. In 1888 principal James Clayton was assisted by James A. Jones and Mary E. Bell.

References