All Saints Episcopal Church
- This article is about the church in Homewood, for the Southside mission, see All Saints Episcopal Mission.
The church was organized as a mission in July 1928 during a meeting in a room above the Edgewood Drug Store. It was admitted to the Diocese and purchased its present property the following year. The mission was accepted as a Parish in 1934, and erected its first building in 1945.
The 1945 church building was designed by Charles McCauley in the Gothic style, using gray concrete brick with cast concrete window tracery and surrounds. Timber scissor trusses distinguish the interior, which is lit by paired lancet stained-glass windows commissioned from J. and R. Lamb. A chancel and spire were added in 1954, along with a choir gallery on the west (entrance) wall.
On April 21, 1988 the roof and interior of the building were lost to a fire. Architect Henry Sprott Long designed the $1.2 million rebuilding, which was completed in August 1989. The remodeling updated the chancel to the full width of the nave and accommodated the choir, which was relocated from its former gallery to a platform behind the altar. A chancel cross made by sculptor Cordray Parker was added in 1992.
- Schnorrenberg, John (March 31, 1996) "The Churches of Edgewood". tour guidebook. Birmingham Historical Society
- All Saints Episcopal Church website