Avon Building

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
The Avon Building in 1984

The Avon Building (also called the Exclusive Furniture Shop) is a 1- and 2-story, 220,000 square foot building on the southwest corner of 29th Street and 7th Avenue South in the Lakeview district of Birmingham's Southside.

The 1927 Tudor Revival style building was designed by Charles McCauley.

The structure was heavily damaged as a result of frozen pipes in the winter of 1983-84, forcing tenants to relocate. Operation New Birmingham assisted prospective buyer Bayer Properties in getting the building listed on the National Register of Historic Places in order to qualify for tax credits for preservation. The listing was approved on September 30, 1984.

Bayer initially invested $115,000 in what was their first redevelopment project. After about $1 million in improvements, Straight Furrow Productions signed on as the first tenant. Six months later, Bayer accepted a proposal from Bombay Café to lease the ground level corner space. The restaurant's success helped establish Lakeview as a night-time destination in the 1990s.

Tenants

References