Benchscapes are cast concrete benches with moulded impressions of people who took a seat on a specially-constructed form used in their manufacture. They are part of an ongoing series of art installations by Birmingham-born artist Jan Jander.
An early example of Jander's work is in the collection of the Birmingham Museum of Art. The Birmingham Airport Authority's art committee contracted eight new benches to be installed at Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport.
The airport series pairs notable Alabamians. Those sharing benches include:
- Daniel Alarcón and John Green
- Bobby Allison and Shelby Lynne
- Taylor Hicks and Homer Hickham
- Alan Hunter and John Mitchell, Jr
- Frank Fleming and Frank Stitt
- Sarah Parcak and E. O. Wilson
- Bryan Kirkland and Vonetta Flowers
- Sarah Collins Rudolph and Warren St John
- Smith, Mike D. (May 2, 2015) "16 famous Alabamians leave seat prints for Birmingham airport art exhibit." The Birmingham News