Communicating Vessels is a Birmingham-based independent record label with offices at 55th Place Arts in Woodlawn. The label, founded in 2011 by Jeffrey Cain with audio engineer Darrell Thorp, sets itself apart by favoring a "lushness of atmosphere" in recordings, and by releasing albums in packages containing multiple formats (vinyl, compact disc and digital download). The name is a translation of Les Vases communicants, a 1932 book by surrealist André Breton
Currently the label represents The Grenadines, The Green Seed, Preston Lovinggood, Shaheed & DJ Supreme, The Great Book of John, Dead Snares, Isidore, Sanders Bohlke, Duquette Johnston, Cedric LeMoyne, Remy Zero and Wray. Former label artists include Gregory Slay, and O+S.
- Colurso, Mary (February 4, 2011) "Raise a glass to Communicating Vessels, a new music label in Birmingham." The Birmingham News
- Record company, Communicating Vessels, to be newest 55th Place Arts tenant." (February 8, 2012) Main Street Birmingham press release
- Shook, Lee Jr. (April 2015) "Sonic boom: Is Birmingham the new music city?" Birmingham magazine/al.com
- Ells, Blake (July 2016) "How Communicating Vessels changed the music scene in Birmingham." Birmingham magazine/al.com
- Communicating Vessels website