- This article is about the 1888 building on 2nd Avenue North. For the 1970 midtown skyscraper, see Daniel Building.
The Daniels Building, also called the Spencer Building, is a four-story cast-iron framed commercial building erected in 1888 at 2121 2nd Avenue North. The brick piers on the front are laid up in alternating bands of red brick and white concrete. Pressed metal spandrels and cornices add exuberant detail to the facade.
The building originally housed the facilities of the V.V.V. Blood Medicine Manufacturing Company with leased apartments above. It later housed W. O. Broyles Furniture, storage for the Bennett Amaro Furniture Co., and Spencer Furniture. It was sold by Spain & Gillon LLC in November 2005 to the HD&J accounting firm for $1.3 million. The building was renovated by Joseph McClure at a cost of $450,000 to convert it into offices for the accounting firm on the first two floors and office condominiums above.
|2nd Avenue North, south side
- White, Marjorie Longenecker (1977) Downtown Birmingham: Architectural and Historical Walking Tour Guide. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society.
- The Daniel Building at jmcre.net