- This article is about the 1970 skyscraper. For the 1888 commercial building on 2nd Avenue North, see Daniels Building.
The Daniel Building is a 20-story building compeleted in 1970 located at 15 20th Street South between Powell Avenue and 1st Avenue South. At 283 feet, it is the eighth-tallest building in Birmingham and the tallest building south of the Railroad Reservation. It currently serves as the headquarters for BBVA Compass.
The Daniel Building was constructed by the Daniel Corporation, beginning in 1967. Moore and Handley was at the location from 1887 until 1966 when it moved to Pelham. Progress was delayed as engineers searched for areas of solid bedrock between limestone cavities on which to erect its caissons. The building opened its doors on March 2, 1970. One of the original tenants was Alabama Power.
In 1993, AmSouth Mortgage Company moved out as Compass Bank purchased the tower and moved their headquarters from the 1967 Central Bank building (now an administrative office for UAB). Compass paved, fenced and lit adjoining gravel parking areas to accommodate 1,100 secured spaces below the Rainbow Viaduct. The company also made tentative plans to pave over the adjacent sections of the 1st Avenue Cut, which was then used regularly by a produce vendor.
In 2009 the bank changed its signage to reflect its ownership by BBVA.
On July 6, 2010, the Daniel Building suffered a small electrical fire in the basement, which was put out by the building's fire suppression equipment. Water and smoke damage in the building forced the 1,000 employees of the building to temporarily relocate to other BBVA Compass offices while the damage was being repaired.
- White, Marjorie Longenecker (1977) Downtown Birmingham: Architectural and Historical Walking Tour Guide. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society.
- Nabbefeld, Joe (December 26, 1993) "Downtown revitalization notches number of gains." The Birmingham News
- Hubbard, Russell (July 6, 2010) "BBVA Compass' headquarters building shut after fire." The Birmingham News