Easley Bridge

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Easley Bridge in 2004

The Easley Bridge (sometimes called Old Easley Bridge or Rosa Bridge) is a 95 foot-long single-span covered bridge over the Dub branch of Calvert Prong, which becomes Locust Fork. It is located on an unnamed road near Blount County Highway 33 between the communites of Easley and Rosa, and is the oldest of three remaining covered bridges in Blount County.

The Easley Bridge was constructed in the "town truss" style by brothers Forrest and Zelmer Tidwell in 1927 and 1928. It stands about 18 feet above the stream bed, which is often dry.

The bridge, along with two others, was closed to vehicular traffic in 2007 as the county worked to secure funding for structural analysis and conservation. Bob Smith Construction began the restoration work in December 2011 and the bridge re-opened after a ceremony on October 22, 2012.

References

  • Prince, A. G. (1981) Alabama's Covered Bridges: Past and Present. revised edition. Ensley: Best Printing Service
  • University of Alabama Center for Public Television and Radio. Bridges to the Past
  • Gray, Jeremy (July 2, 2011) "Blount County's covered bridges could get facelift starting this fall." The Birmingham News
  • Spencer, Thomas (December 17, 2011) "Restoration of Blount County's covered bridges begins." The Birmingham News

External links

Locate with
Google Maps