Ensley Baptist Church

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Ensley Baptist Church is a Baptist church located on the corner of Avenue E and 23rd Street in Ensley.

The church was organized on February 11, 1900 as a mission of the First Baptist Church of Birmingham by a group of 55 who had been meeting above a hardware store on Avenue E. They erected their first building that year on the corner of Avenue G and 18th Street, adding a pastorage in 1906.

In 1911 the church began a new building on its present site and converted the older one into a Sunday School building. A new more substantial education building was constructed beginning in 1924. The church took out a loan four years later to pay off the debt on that building and extend it forward forming a new sanctuary.

The massive brick building with limestone trim features tall Jacobean arched windows and deep buttresses supporting tall side walls with clerestory windows. The front wall has a gabled pediment and the education buildings are arranged on the back corners forming a "T" shape.

Another building campaign in 1962 added a new education wing with an elevator and provided for renovations to the sanctuary.

Pastors

References