Green Acres Cafe
Green Acres Cafe is a chain of fast-food restaurants founded in Chicago in the 1946 by William Gratton. Gratton expanded the chain to six locations before he moved to Birmingham and brought the business with him.
The first Birmingham location was opened in North Birmingham in 1950. The second location, on 4th Avenue North, was opened in 1958 by Gratton's brother Charles. It was Charles who decided to try to get rid of extra wings left over after people bought 1/2 and 1/4 chickens by offering a special plate of a half dozen wings with bread and fries for 25 cents.
Charles' son Greg is now the owner of the concept, which has expanded to 11 locations, all offering the same proven menu of fried chicken wings, hamburgers and fries, fried fish, sandwiches, fried okra and fried green tomatoes.
- North Birmingham: 2724 29th Avenue North, opened 1950 by William Gratton
- Downtown: 1705 4th Avenue North, opened 1958 by Charles Gratton
- East Lake: 8501 1st Avenue North, opened March 2006 by Greg's daughter, Tomeka Baylor
- West End: 1749 Pearson Avenue
- Avondale: 4350 3rd Court South
- Center Point: 2405 Center Point Parkway
- Irondale: 1819 Crestwood Boulevard, opened August 2005 by Greg's wife, Cindy
- Tarrant: 3931 Vanderbilt Road, opened May 2006
- Hueytown: Allison-Bonnett Memorial Drive, opened July 2006
- Ensley: 20th Street Ensley, opened August 2006
- Forestdale: opened September 2006
- Williams, Roy L. (June 4, 2006) "Recipe for success" Birmingham News.
- Brown, Angela (October 2006) "Worth the Wait." Birmingham Magazine. Vol. 46, No. 10. p. 250
- Jordan, Phillip (March 15, 2007) "Winging it: Green Acres makes history with franchises, staying powers." Birmingham Weekly.