Memorial to the Spanish American War

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Memorial to the Spanish American War is a bronze sculpture of a soldier atop a stone pedestal, located in the southern entrance of Linn Park, across Park Place from the Birmingham Board of Education Building. The memorial was commissioned by the Ladies Auxiliary and the United States Spanish War Veterans, Birmingham Camp #1, to honor those who served in the Spanish American War, the Philippine Insurrection and the Boxer Rebellion. Due to rationing policies tied to World War II, the monument was dedicated with the pedestal only in 1944. It was subsequently rededicated on June 2, 1946, upon completion of the bronze sculpture.

Inscription

Memorial in 2010
(south face)
In honor of the Soldiers,

Sailors, Marines, and Nurses
Of the Volunteer Army of the
Republic, who served in the
Spanish-American War
The Philippine Insurrection,
and the Boxer Rebellion

April 21st 1898-July 4th 1902
(west face)
Remember the Maine!
(north face)
Dedicated June 4, 1944, by the

Ladies Auxiliary,
United Spanish War Veterans,
to the most unselfish mass

act in history
(east face)
You may fire when ready

Gridley.
Dewey at the Battle of Manila

Bay, May 1st, 1898

References

  • Alabama survey, Save Outdoor Sculpture (1993) "Memorial to the Spanish American War, (sculpture)." Smithsonian American Art Museum. Inventory of American Sculpture, control #AL000200 - accessed October 20, 2010