Promenade Tannehill (formerly Colonial Promenade Tannehill) is a retail center at the intersection of Eastern Valley Road and Pocahontas Road, at a location visible from I-459, in Bessemer. The center officially opened July 25, 2008. The approximately $75 million, 347,151-square-foot shopping center was developed by Colonial Properties Trust.
The development was annexed into Bessemer after the city provided $13.5 million in infrastructure for the development. An additional $1 million in incentives was approved by the Bessemer City Council to ensure that a multiplex cinema would be part of the development after negotiations with one theater chain fell through. The first stores began opening in July 2008.
The majority of the shopping center's 87-acre site was purchased from Garywood Assembly of God, which had originally planned to relocate there from its current location in Hueytown. The church now intends to relocate to a parcel near the interchange of I-459 and I-20/59, approximately 1 mile away from Colonial Promenade Tannehill.
Construction of the J. C. Penney store was delayed after a sinkhole developed on the site.
The shopping center was sold to Dallas, Texas-based Cypress Equities in September 2013 for $38.5 million.
- J. C. Penney
- Ross Dress for Less
- Premiere 14 Tannehill cinema (opened July 18, 2008)
- Habañeros Mexican Grill (opened July 14, 2008)
- Charming Charlie
- Anna’s Linens
- Tomberlin, Michael (September 30, 2006) "McCalla mall details emerge." The Birmingham News
- "Colonial Promenade gains new tenants." (January 26, 2008) The Birmingham News
- Gordon, Robert K. (July 17, 2008) "Movie theater to open tonight in Bessemer." The Birmingham News
- Gordon, Robert K. (July 25, 2008) "New Bessemer shopping center set to open." The Birmingham News
- Tomberlin, Michael (September 18, 2013) "Colonial Promenade Tannehill in Bessemer-McCalla sold for $38.5 million."
- Colonial Promenade Tannehill page at Colonial Properties Trust web site