SouthTrust Bank was a large regional bank headquartered in the SouthTrust Tower at 420 20th Street North in downtown Birmingham. It was purchased in 2004 by Charlotte, North Carolina-based Wachovia and again sold to Wells Fargo Bank.
SouthTrust was founded in 1887 as Birmingham Trust and Savings Company, it grew to a bank spanning 9 states from Virginia to Texas. It constructed a banking office at 112 20th Street North in 1902, and rebuilt it as a monumental Neoclassical structure in 1922.
The name was changed to Birmingham Trust National Bank (BTNB) when it secured a national charter in 1946. It opened its first "neighborhood branches" in East Lake, Mountain Brook, and Five Points West in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
BTNB was the first financial institution in the nation to introduce what was termed at the time an "automated central information system" in 1971.
After regional acquisions, the holding company SouthTrust Corporation was formed in 1981.
BTNB became known as SouthTrust Bank in 1982. SouthTrust was acquired by Charlotte, NC-based Wachovia Corporation in 2004. The SouthTrust name disappeared from bank buildings in October 2005. The bank's name and Trade Marks were acquired by First National Bank of George West, headquartered in George West, Texas, in 2013.
- SouthTrust Bank website - accessed October 6, 2006