St Barnabas Catholic Church
St Barnabas began as a mission of St Paul's Parish in downtown Birmingham. Reverend John A. Bratton was missioner when Cumberland Presbyterian Church was purchased in 1908 and subsequently remodeled for Catholic services. Right Reverend Edward P. Allen formally dedicated the remodeled building on October 18, 1908.
After seven chaplains had served the mission church, it was raised to a parish in September 1918 with Father Walter J. Tobin as resident pastor. The church was located at 8045 2nd Avenue South by 1920. In 1938, under pastor George W. Keys, the congregation purchased the present church property on the corner of 1st Avenue and 80th Street North. A new church was dedicated at the site on January 10, 1954, exactly two years after ground was broken for it.
- Lody, Father Joseph, ed. (2009). History of the Diocese of Birmingham. Strasbourg, France: Éditions du Signe.
- St Barnabas Catholic Church website