The Steiner Bank (originally Steiner Brothers Bank) was a family-owned banking office established by Sigfried and Burghard Steiner in 1888. Its first permanent offices were in the Steiner Building on the southeast corner of 21st Street and 1st Avenue North.
Bernard Steiner was president of the bank in the 1960s, when it had $4 million in assets.
On August 19, 1963 the bank reopened in their new, modern offices at 1920 3rd Avenue North. The 2-story 25 by 140-foot marble-faced building, designed by architect H. Lloyd Hill of Atlanta, Georgia, cost $300,000. The new layout included customer parking with access to a rear entrance.
- Beiman, Irving (November 1962) "Steiner will move to heart of town" The Birmingham News - via Birmingham Rewound
- White, Marjorie Longenecker (1977) Downtown Birmingham: Architectural and Historical Walking Tour Guide. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society.
- "Steiner Bank in Birmingham, Alabama (AL)." (n.d.) BankEncyclopedia.com. Accessed November 5, 2012.