WLPH-AM

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
WLPH logo.png

WLPH-AM was a gospel format radio station broadcasting on AM 1480 from Irondale between 1965 and 2006. The station's call letters were changed to WRLM in 2006, and the station now goes by WQOH, an affiliate of the Eternal Word Television Network. The transmitter is located just off Crestwood Boulevard at Hamby Avenue in the Rose Hill community (map).

WLPH took over the 5-year old WIXI, a 5,000-watt daytime-only AM station owned by the Jefferson Radio Company. The Birmingham Broadcasting Company purchased the station on September 8, 1964 and continued their mixed format, which was heavy on country and western music, but included about 20 hours of "Negro music" each week.

In 1971 the station switched to a Southern gospel format and the owners changed their name to the Alabama Religious Broadcasting Company. The station continued in that format until it was sold to Willis Broadcasting of Norfolk, Virginia in 1997. Willis' Birmingham Christian Radio subsidiary transitioned WLPH to "Black gospel" that fall. Willis sold the station to Davidson Broadcasting in 2006. Davidson switched the format to "Latino Mix" under the new WRLM call letters.