September 8 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2010: Edward the giraffe arrived at the Birmingham Zoo from Missouri.
- 1990: The Newboys played their final show at Louie Louie.
- 1975: The Bicentennial Flag was hoisted over Legion Field before the Alabama-Missouri game.
- 1947: John Carroll Catholic High School opened for students.
- 1943: Brother Charles Todel took vows in the Salesian order.
- 1908: The first Atlanta, Birmingham & Atlantic Railway train pulled into Birmingham Terminal Station.
- 1989: Al.com sports reporter Natalie Williams was born.
- 1970: Basketball player Latrell Sprewell was born.
- 1963: Actor David Lee Smith was born.
- 1963: Photographer Phillip Griffith was born in Illinois.
- 1948: Donald Watkins was born.
- 1908: Birmingham World editor and NAACP leader Emory Jackson was born in Buena Vista, Georgia