Waters Building

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Waters Building (formerly the Worns Building) is a three-story, 8,000 square-foot commercial building at 209–11 22nd Street North in downtown Birmingham.

The 1887 brick building was ornamented with cast-iron columns and a pressed metal cornice and window hoods in an Italianate style. It initially housed the Koenig & Gauche household goods store.

The building was purchased and renovated in 1977 by architect Jim Waters who re-created a period mahogany and glass storefront for his offices. The project was honored with a "Design Award" from the Birmingham Historical Society in 1983. The Waters Building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 11, 1980.

The building was purchased in 2010 by the law firm of Scott Dukes and Geisler and again extensively renovated. Architect Wayne Hester coordinated the $1.3 million project with preservation consultant Linda Nelson to qualify for federal preservation tax credits.

References

  • Kent, Dawn (May 26, 2010) "Birmingham law firm Scott, Dukes & Geisler renovating downtown office space." Birmingham News
  • Dobrinksi, Rebecca (July 10, 2011) "Investing in the Past: The Waters Building" Magic City Post