Willow Wood Park
Wood's family dedicated their estate to the City of Woodlawn before the 1910 Greater Birmingham annexation placed the community within Birmingham's city limits. They constructed a spring-fed swimming pool and the house and grounds were used as a neighborhood center.
In 1934 the Civil Works Administration regraded the park's volleyball court, constructed six shuffleboard courts, repaired and repainted the bath house, trimmed trees and dressed grades throughout the park. Currently the park also houses a playground and outdoor basketball court.
A recreation center was later built at Willow Wood Park, hosting numerous community activities for neighborhood residents. The recreation center is also a polling place for municipal and county elections. The center was renovated and expanded in 1980.
In 2010 the recreation center was one of seven that Mayor William Bell proposed be temporarily closed as the city dealt with a severe budget deficit. The Church of the Highlands subsequently looked into the possibility of leasing the center to keep it open and provide programming.
- Bryant, Joseph D. (May 28, 2010) "Birmingham mayor, church seek way to keep rec center open despite financial pinch." Birmingham News