Alabama House District 55
Alabama State House of Representatives, District 55 is an electoral district of the Alabama State House of Representatives. It includes several Birmingham neighborhoods across Birmingham's Southside, including Avondale, Redmont Park, Highland Park, Five Points South and Titusville, and stretching west, to include Arlington-West End, Oakwood Place, Central Park, Ensley Highlands, Ensley and Sherman Heights. It also includes central Fairfield and Westfield to the southwest, and McDonald Chapel and eastern Minor to the northwest.
District 55's House seat is currently vacant, following the resignation of Fred Plump, as he pleaded guilty to federal charges relating to a kickback scheme to benefit his Piper Davis Youth Baseball League.
- 1994-1998: Warren Minnifield
- 1998-2002: Eric Major (1st term)
- 2002-2006: Eric Major (2nd term)
- 2006-2010: Roderick Scott (1st term)
- 2010-2014: Roderick Scott (2nd term)
- 2022–2023: Fred Plump (1st term, resigned May 2023)
2024 special election
On June 15, Governor Kay Ivey scheduled a special election on January 9, 2024 to fill the vacant seat left by Plump's resignation. She scheduled party primaries for the special election on September 26, with run-offs, if necessary, to be held on October 24. The deadline to qualify for the primaries was set for July 25, and the deadline for candidates to qualify for the general election was September 26. No Republican candidates filed for a primary.
Just 2,401 of around 25,000 registered voters cast ballots in the Democratic primary. The runoff garnered significantly more interest with 3,955 ballots cast, representing about 16% of registered voters in the district.
- Travis Hendrix, 670 votes (27.9%), 2,367 votes (65%) in runoff, winner
- Sylvia Swayne, 515 votes (21.5%), 1,268 votes votes (35%) in runoff
- Phyllis Oden-Jones, 485 votes (20.2%)
- Cara McClure, 364 votes (15.2%)
- Ves Marable, 180 votes (7.5%)
- Kenneth Coachman, 106 votes (4.4%)
- Antwon Womack, 81 votes (3.4%)
- Denham Hannah; Kyle Whitmire & Joseph D. Bryant (May. 23, 2023) "Alabama Rep. Fred Plump to resign over federal charges in alleged kickback scheme." AL.com
- Cason, Mike (June 15, 2023) "Gov. Kay Ivey schedules election to fill Birmingham House seat vacated by Fred Plump conviction." AL.com
- Willis, Alexander (August 4, 2023) "7 qualify for House District 55 special election." Alabama Daily News
- Rocha, Alander (September 24, 2023) "House District 55 Special Election Candidates." Alabama Reflector / BirminghamWatch
- Bryant, Joseph D. (September 26, 2023) "Birmingham area House race headed for runoff election." AL.com