Alabama House District 56
Alabama State House of Representatives, District 56 includes several communities in Western Jefferson County including Lipscomb, North Johns, most of Bessemer, parts of Birmingham's Brownville community, small sections of Brighton, Hoover and Hueytown, and many unincorporated areas.
District 56 is currently represented by Louise Alexander, who defeated incumbent Lawrence McAdory in the 2014 Democratic primary and Republican Darius Foster and independent candidate Rickey Levins in the 2014 general election.
The September 29, 2009 special election to fill her seat drew 2,679 voters to the polls and produced a runoff between Claire Mitchell (1,105 votes, 41%) and Lawrence McAdory (877 votes, 33%). Louise Alexander (359 votes, 13%) and Margie Varner (338 votes, 13%) also ran in the primary. McAdory won the runoff with 1,185 votes to Mitchell's 1,121 (a margin of 64 votes)
- 1994-1998: Lawrence McAdory
- 1998-2002: Priscilla Dunn (1st term)
- 2002-2006: Priscilla Dunn (2nd term)
- 2006-2009: Priscilla Dunn (3rd term), left in 2009 to assume Alabama Senate District 19 seat
- 2009-2010: Lawrence McAdory
- 2010-2014: Lawrence McAdory
- 2014-2018: Louise Alexander (1st term)